Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Karma...

My first marriage was less than desirable. I won't go into detail because I am long over it all however I will say that the outcome to the following story was much deserved.

I'd been raising our two sons virtually on my own for close to two years. Living in subsidized housing and on public assistance while working full time at the unemployment office for nothing (Don't get me wrong. I loved it...the experience I got there is unmatched by any other "job" I've held.) I'd finally saved enough money to pay off the divorce...I got a letter in the mail informing me of the date of my deposition...That morning I didn't have money for gas so I dropped the boys off at my parents house and asked to borrow $15.

I drove to my attorneys office, turned off the engine and bowed my head. The marriage had been over for years...I wanted it over. We both did. But still, this was it. After this day it would literally be 24 hours before I was once again "single."  I stepped out of my car (a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis I'd purchased for 150 bucks) and made my way onto the sidewalk when I noticed my soon to be ex-husband exiting my attorneys office. He approached me and explained that he had recieved the same letter and informed the attorney that he didn't want or feel a need to be present. I said "Alright, let's do this...See ya. Good luck" And I walked into my attorneys office. The deposition was fairly painless. Yes, we were married. Yes, we had two sons. No, he had not been providing support to help me with them during most of our separation.

It was over. She told me to watch for my papers within a couple of days. I thanked her and I left. The experience was surreal. I walked out onto sidewalk thinking "I'm a statistic. One of the 50% of marriages that fail. One of the single mother households. Life will be such a struggle...but I'm ready."  I don't think I ever raised my head...and it's a good thing...because right there on the sidewalk close to my boat of a vehicle was a 100 dollar bill.

I'd seen fake $100 bills before...so I didn't get my hopes up until I picked it up and opened it. It was real. 100% geniune cash. I looked around. There was no one. I wondered if I should report it...Maybe I'll just hold it...for a few days...yeah, right. I pocketed the money and I left. The next 48 hours were rough. I began to wonder "what if that was the last 100 bucks that a single mother like myself had to her name...and now it's gone. No bills paid. No formula..."

Two days later the much needed 100 dollar bill was still in my pocket with me pondering what I should do with it...my (by this point ex-) husband came by in search of the divorce papers (as he was getting married again in less than one month.) And it hit me. That is the same area where we had stopped to talk before the deposition. Could it be? I decided to bring up money in some way..."Oh yeah...did I tell you? I got out of the car at Wal-mart a couple of weeks ago and found 30 bucks on the ground...lucky, huh?"  I don't know where I got that figure. It just popped into my head...

He hesitated. Shook his head...and then informed me "You are doing much better than I am. I just lost a hundred bucks."

 I only said..."Wow, man...hate to hear that." And then I promptly paid my light bill...with zero regrets.

2 comments: